Craftsmanship - The Wood Whisperer


The Wood Whisperer           http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/

I am not what you would call a handy person. I can hold my own on most basic things, but for anything advanced, I get outside help. Those who know me would therefore probably be surprised to find out I am a fan of The Wood Whisperer’s video podcast. But if they gave the show a look, I am sure they would also see its appeal to craft challenged individuals like myself.

That does not mean to suggest that this show is for beginners only. Far from it. Marc Spanuolo is The Wood Whisperer, a master craftsman who, in each episode, gives us techniques and tips about a variety of topics in the world of woodworking. The podcast is shot in his spacious but unadorned workshop. And, against this backdrop, the t-shirt clad lumber maestro regales us with his knowledge, abilities and slightly folksy sense of humor. He is aided in his quest to raise our wood IQs by his wife, NICOLE Spagnuolo, who is just as masterful wearing the many hats of cameraperson, website designer and sometimes co-host. (See comments for my idiotic boo boo.)

What I find most appealing about The Wood Whisperer is the quality of the demonstrations. Everything he discusses, from routing techniques, types of cuts, materials storage or safety procedures, is very concisely captured by the camera. And the podcast does not try to cram too much into a show, sometimes breaking subjects up into three or four separate episodes. I have found myself engrossed in many diverse topics such as proper wood selection, specialty tool usage, tips on gluing and varnishing, things it is highly unlikely I would have explored on my own.

A second strong point is Marc himself. He is personable, seems like your average guy and he does not talk down to his audience although he is obviously very knowledgeable. Unlike some other experts, he has the ability to Communicate what he knows. It come across like talking shop with your buddy. Which makes me comfortable because of my vast ignorance concerning the subject matter.

There is also a good mix of episode types within this series. It is not just a static how-to program. Along with the straight project work there may be a road trip to a convention (Yes, The Wood Whisperer has sponsors. Hello Festool) or an episode on potential holiday presents (Yes, the Wood Whisperer has a store link. You can find those gift ideas or maybe some TWW goodies).

Finally, go check out the website. It is chock full of links, information, blogs, forums and the occasional Demo Night!. Very impressive. So good luck to Marc and Nicole. And keep on whispering.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good review of the podcast. Only one problem - Marc's wife's name is Nicole, not Michelle. :)

TheWoodWhisperer said...

Hey Mike! Thanks so much for the nice review. You have a way with words, sir!

And unless I have another wife that I am not aware of (you never know), my blushing bride's name is indeed Nicole.

Thanks again man and good luck with your site. And don't be afraid to pick up a few tools and start building. You just might be good at it. :)

Unknown said...

OOPS. Sorry Nicole. I was worried about spelling Spagnuolo correctly.

stperkins said...

I may become a viewer after this review. It sounds like the whisperer knows his business. Maybe stick a link where you mentioned the website. Nicely done nonetheless!

Unknown said...

That's a good idea. I just have to figure out how to do it.