Comics - I Read Comics


UPDATE ! (See Below.)

I Read Comics         http://ireadcomics.blogspot.com/


I recently had a conversation at a party about a topic I had not thought about in a while….comics. That got me thinking that I ought to see what was out there in podcast land about the subject. And sure enough there was an embarrassment of riches as far as what to choose from. I picked out a few and unfortunately some of them were not so good. More on those at a later date.

One I did find and like very much is called Ireadcomics, and it starts out with the hook “Yes, it’s another comics podcast. And the big difference is that I’m doing it. And I’m a girl. That’s right, a girl that reads comics”. I believe that, for me as a listener, there is something about Lene Taylor’s unique woman’s perspective that really brings fresh air onto her show. The “I Read Comics” podcast usually runs at least thirty minutes long and has several segments divided by some soothing interstitial music. While I liked the music, and it does provide a transition point, I would rather hear more from Taylor. She adroitly covers all sorts of subjects and displays a depth of knowledge that does not limit her to discussing only narrow segments of the comics world. She speaks clearly, extemporaneously and has a nice voice. She also is not afraid to let it rip if some saltier language is called for.

For me, coming back after a long time away from comics, I am hearing about so many new things that I had to start writing down the names of the titles and websites Taylor discusses during her podcasts so I can surf for them later. It seems like for every discussion of things I am familiar with (like a funny take on the Legion of Substitute Heroes) there are new treats she exposes me to (like “alienlovespredator” or "Dave's Long Box", which unfortunately has closed).

“I Read Comics” is usually a monologue, often with a cogent rant if Taylor has a bone to pick (watch out Fanboys). But sometimes there are friends and colleagues on the podcast who add their voices and opinions while talking about conventions or reviewing movies. The Hulk, Iron Man, Speed Racer! (FYI, the movie reviews are as in depth as the comics discussions but they are chock full of spoilers). One extra feature I definitely appreciate is that every episode is accurately titled on iTunes. Even though I would recommend listening to every episode, this topic information can help subscribers or casual listeners focus in on areas they would like to sample.

Finally, "I Read Comics" is the reason "Podcast Review Blog" is on Blogger. I figured if someone as smart and cool as Lene Taylor uses their forum, that's good enough for me

This one is definitely a keeper, folks. It’s an adult look at a subject we first came to love as kids.

UPDATE: Lene is back. After taking a breather (which I am now in complete understanding of), she has returned with several new podcasts full of the content and context I love. Whether she is talking about Silver Age classics, new movies or the sexist drawing of super heroines, it's all here. I continue to sample other podcasts which purport to cover all aspects of comics, but this one is still the best. And I have resisted the temptation to end all these sentences in exclamation points !!

No comments: